Director Of Operations
An exciting opportunity to join the Central Washington Fair Association team in Yakima and be part of creating memories. Central Washington Fair Association is a non-profit that operates State Fair Park, owned by the County of Yakima.
State Fair Park, is home of the Central Washington State Fair, Yakima SunDome and Yakima County Baseball Stadium.This 125-acre campus is the largest multi-purpose venue in Central Washington, hosting over 200 events annually.The annual 10- day Fair has been in existence for over 128 years celebrating the heritage of the Yakima Valley.
Responsible for oversight of day to day event operations, facility, maintenance and landscaping functions, and all physical resources and buildings. Oversight and development of capital expenditure budgets and projects and supervision of staff within this Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee special projects, such as construction, remodeling/renovation, upgrading physical and major systems or expansion of facilities.
- Develop and implement staff training procedures for operational areas.
- Develop a prioritized plan to address outstanding deferred maintenance issues.
- Ensure proper processes and tracking are in place for asset management.
- Develop and implement preventive maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, safety and risk management.
- Acts as liaison to public utility, environmental and energy agencies and government agencies as assigned.
- Create environmental management program initiatives, such as water conservation, green initiatives, cost savings for utility services, etc.
- Lead by example by demonstrating ethical leadership and counsel and provide timely and accurate performance feedback.
- Ensure ongoing conversations with staff for succession planning.Create developmental opportunities for internal qualified candidates for succession planning at all levels within work group.
- Conduct regular staff meetings to ensure goals and objectives of department are met and ensure open line of communication.
- Manage staff work schedules and work deployment to support proper planning for fair and year- round events ensuring that labor expenses are within budget.
- Plan and direct outside vendors/contractors work to assure compliance with contracts and safety requirements.
- Maintains annual inspections and certifications of all facility systems and equipment.
- Create and manage annual capital and department(s) operating budgets
- Formulate operating strategies and procedures to maximize profits, efficiency and customer service.
- Documentation and enforcement of company’s operating procedures and policies, including personnel policies, performance and salary reviews.
- Oversees safety, security and parking operations and contracts for these areas.
- Directs all safety and emergency response training, oversees annual fire drills and emergency response exercises.
A combination of education – Bachelor’s Degree in related area and/or technical college with appropriate certification along with a minimum of five years’ experience.Experience can be substituted for education and prefer candidate with work experience in facility, events and/or hospitality or large commercial operation with management oversight of an operational portfolio, construction knowledge, project management and development of operation and capital budgets.
- Ability to adopt customer service practices to all areas of oversight.
- Experience in developing scope of work for complex contracts and understanding of RFP process.
- Budget preparation, analysis, variance reporting and cost control.
- Comprehensive understanding of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations as well as working knowledge of Fire, Safety, EEOC, FLSA, OSHA, LABOR and INDUSTRY and ADA rules and regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organization and customer service skills.
- Ability to work outside the normal business day/week as demanded by events and programs.
- Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information successfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in a group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities
Computer proficiency including Word, Office and Excel.CAD experience would be helpful.Basic math and accounting principles.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, talk and hear.The employee may be required to stand on their feet for long periods of time and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
This is a salaried position and will be commensurate with education and/or experience plus benefits. This position will report directly to the CEO.
Please submit your resume with cover letter outlining your experience and accomplishments related to this opportunity. Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your resume and cover letter to CWFA, attention: Erin, 1301 South Fair Avenue, Yakima WA98901
Entertainment, Education and Program Manager
Join the Central Washington Fair Association Team in Yakima and be part of creating memories for one of Washington’s top fairs and event center. This new position will report to the VP of Marketing.
This is a salaried position and will be commensurate with education and/or experience.
State Fair Park is home of the Central Washington State Fair, Yakima SunDome and Yakima County Baseball Stadium. This 125-area campus is the largest multi-purpose venue in Central Washington, hosting over 200 events annually. The annual Fair has been in existence for over 128 years celebrating the heritage and agriculture of the Yakima Valley.
Responsible for developing programming for the annual fair and year-round events, creating educational programs and outreach, grounds entertainment and oversight of fair concessionaire program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop special community programming and events that provide opportunities for community groups to be part of the annual fair
- Create and manage fair contesting that will drive community participation in a unique and fun way
- Collaborate with marketing and communications staff to assist in generating content and outreach to support activities from this department
- Identify and book community and grounds acts, buskers and special events/exhibits for the annual fair
- Work with fair planning team to develop programming ideas and theme activations
- Support the 4th of July Committee to develop new programming ideas that will increase attendance and revenues for this community event
- Administer, coordinate and produce contracts for fair-time space rental, special attractions, and food concessions to include invoicing and contracting
- Coordinate with appropriate departments for set-up of Fair. Assist in placement of food booths, monitor and evaluate food booths and concessionaires during the annual fair as well as grounds entertainment
- Develop working relationship with State Health Department and ensure concessionaires have information timely for health inspections and that all vendors are in compliance
- Obtain food safety training certificates as required
- Develop templates and database for exhibitors to manage event information
- Develop and manage department’s annual budget
Excellent organizational, planning, attention to detail and can work cohesively with many partners and internal departments. Must be creative, innovative, professional, and have effective people skills with the ability to be diplomatic and resolve conflicts. Work well under pressure and makes decisions in a timely manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; and a minimum of three years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Understanding of accounting, invoicing, marketing, salesmanship, administration, budgeting and developing and coordinating events.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and or stand and or walk for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and to talk or hear. During peak activity times, extra daily hours and periods with minimal or no days off may be required.
Please submit your resume with cover letter outlining your experience and accomplishments related to this opportunity, along with providing your salary history for the past 3 years. Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail your resume and cover letter to CWFA, attention: Erin, 1301 South Fair Avenue, Yakima WA 98901.